Tales of a cynic who melted at the sight of Redemption.

Friday, September 23, 2011

The Ocean Floor

The video below is one of my favorite songs: "Ocean Floor" by Audio Adrenaline.
It's a good look at what God's mercy is really like.


Forgiveness is wonderful.
All the same, it came sharply into focus today what forgiveness implies: when God forgives, He requires forgiveness from us, the forgiven. 

See, this girl once met; I seemed to hit it off with her right away. But I was far to deep in my own sin, and distorted, selfish worldview in order to see her true character. I missed all the signs, and somehow, (thinking I was being helpful -"huh?") said something to her that was completely judgmental, and way off-base. Worse, I blogged about my self-righteous "observations" about what I thought was wrong with my friend (don't bother trying; for good reason, that blog isn't there anymore). It didn't matter that I hadn't used her name, or that I had only like, 2 followers for that site. The damage had been done! And what a catastrophe! 
In her response, she was obviously hurt, and left me scrambling to try to 'tape things up'. How stupid I'd been! I attempted an immediate apology (or rather, just a cover-up to try to make me look good). Of course, it was met with an appropriate reply. In reference to us being friends, I was toast. 

It took a long time (months), but, again God in His mercy cut through my thick skull. I knew I was wrong; this time for sure. I gathered up what threads of courage I had left, and sent an actual apology; this time, serious. I was wrong, and trying to admit it. Weeks passed, -no reply. I just decided it was in God's hands now. What else could I do? Then, this afternoon, I log on, and there's that '1 new message!' flag. The last thing I expected! She'd forgiven me. But she did have this to say:

"I'd like to mention that there are like 20 verses that say not to judge others and that's what you did. Not very Christian of you...

"Judge not, that you be not judged. For with the judgment you pronounce you will be judged, and with the measure you use it will be measured to you. Why do you see the speck that is in your brother's eye, but do not notice the log that is in your own eye? Or how can you say to your brother, ‘Let me take the speck out of your eye,’ when there is the log in your own eye? You hypocrite, first take the log out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to take the speck out of your brother's eye." ~Matthew 7:1-5

...However I do forgive you."

Ouch. But true.
I was suddenly sobered by what this all meant. I've been given the responsibility to pass forgiveness on to everyone else. 
In Christ's own words:
"'For if you forgive men when they sin against you, your Heavenly Father will also forgive you. But if you do not forgive men their sins, your father will not forgive your sins'" (Matthew 6:14-15)

Toss it to the ocean floor! Forgive! And be forgiven! (Sorry, I was talking to myself again!) It's so wonderful to let go.
Besides, it's hard to surf with a backpack full of soggy newspapers...

(=D)

-Aaron Conti

No comments:

Post a Comment